Finalize Plan of Development (POD)
Leaseholders must submit a plan of development (POD) within 2 years of the lease issuance date. The POD must:
- Be consistent with the development schedule and other requirements required by the BLM (43 CFR 2804.25[e.3]).
- Address all pre‑development and development activities.
The POD template (referenced at 43 CFR 2804.12 and available at https://www.blm.gov) includes a due diligence requirement that an applicant submit the POD within 90 days (from the successful bid in the case of the competitive offer of a DLA area). The POD template describes the following elements that must be included in the POD:
- Project Description — includes facility description, proposed schedule for construction and operation, purpose and need for the project, general facility description, alternatives considered, federal, state, and local permit requirements, and information on the financial and technical capability of the applicant.
- Construction of Facilities — information on solar field design, access and transport system, work force numbers, site preparation, material needs, electrical construction activities, aviation lighting, and site stabilization and reclamation practices.
- Related Facilities and Systems — such as transmission, gas supply, communications
- Operations and Maintenance — includes description of activities and workforce.
- Environmental Considerations — must address special status species and habitats, special land use designations, visual resource management, cultural and historic resources, Native American tribal concerns, and other relevant environmental considerations and site uses, and mitigation measures.
- Maps and Drawings
- Supplemental Information — includes engineering and civil design information, facility management plans, facility decommissioning plan.
If an approved POD provides for staged development, unless otherwise approved by the BLM, the lease must:
- Begin construction of the initial phase of development within 12 months after issuance of the Notice to Proceed, but no later than 24 months after the effective date of the right-of-way (ROW) authorization;
- Begin construction of each stage of development (following the first) within 3 years of the start of construction of the previous stage of development, and complete construction of that stage no later than 24 months after the start of construction of that stage, unless otherwise authorized by the BLM; and
- Have no more than 3 development stages, unless otherwise authorized by the BLM
The lessee must maintain all onsite electrical generation equipment and facilities in accordance with the design standards in the approved POD.